Wednesday, July 8, 2009

PACHO : A Brief Look at Parkash Singh Gill, My Father.

Today, 9th July 2009, is my father's death anniversary.

I wanted to post a long story, but, I decided instead to keep it simple. I'll show you my father, and you'll see how much better looking he is than my bother and I. When we were growing up, he used to call my brother Beta, and he used to call me Juju-mujhe. He was hard on us growing up. More on my brother, I learned from my brother's mistakes. Example being : DO NOT PUT KITCHEN ON FIRE and you won't get your ass handed to you. But, before anything, he looked after us. And I think, most important, is that compared to alot of people my brother's age and alot of people my age, my father Parkash Singh Gill taught my brother and I how to be men and not boys. To carry our feet when we walk. To shake a hand with a firm grip. To raise our chins to any challenge. Fear nothing. To be humble. To show respect. To be respected. To pull out chairs. To open doors. To love. To help others in need. And most of all, to never give up. Never surrender. And know how to lose with dignity, no matter how painful, as long as you gave it your best.

This was my father's basic nature. I can only hope I can live up to it as he did.

He was a good man. He is greatly missed. And we love him. As always.

I present:
(all images can be clicked on for a higher resolution image.)

Pacho. My father.

13th July 1968, my father at age 16.

Left: My father, September 1973. 21 years old. He had more facial hair than I did at that age.















Right: I'm assuming my father was in between age 21 - 25 here. Probably in India.


My father and his friends, I am assuming this is in India as well. Or maybe somewhere in Malaysia.





Left: Dad is on the left, and this is one of his college friends I think.
Top: Dad at a beach party trying to get a fire started I think.




Left: 1965, my father's parents. Sohan Singh and his wife Puran Kaur. My grandparents.
Middle: My father at (I'm assuming) a party. He looks cool.
Right: My father holding on to my brother and my eldest cousin, Lisa. He loved kids.

My father holding on to me. He looks happy that he had another son. I look, well, like a blur little boy.






My elder brother. My father's firstborn.













Left: My beautiful mother, I think roughly around the time dad fell in love with her.
Middle: My father, at the stern as he teaches a class.
Right: Work hard, play hard. Dad, having a good time.

Last but not least, is my favorite picture of my father and I. I hope it makes you laugh as much as it makes me laugh.


That's a cigarette in my mouth by the way.

My father had a few things that he used to say often, here they are:

"The truth will always prevail."
"Shoot to kill."
"I am Sohan Singh's son!"

So, I say it proud, as my father said it proud:


I AM PACHO SINGH'S SON!

Don't you forget it.

Love you, Dad. Miss you like hell.

- Julian Gill.

23 comments:

  1. thats great, i lost my father when i was 7, he was shot to death by a crazy woman with a shotgun. but i have never felt the need to seek about him, he never taught me anything, all was my mum, my brother henri tried to renew contact with our father's brother, but unsuccessfully... maybe one day who knows, but i salute you julian, great stuff man.

    ReplyDelete
  2. aww sweetie..ur dads a great guy..im sure hes proud u turned out great as well..loads of love jujuboy:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. If only we all could be remembered so fondly in our passing. God bless his soul bro.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ju - this was absolutely beautiful!

    I miss him loads, but am comforted by the fact that I see most of his good points in you.

    Love you and mom much.

    I am Pacho Singh's Son!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Math - A tragic tale man. But, be proud, you grew up to be one of the best people I've ever had the honor of spending extended hours in a small black room with. And you've raised a beautiful family. Love you bro.

    Nina - Loads of love to you too. :)

    Ben - Thanks man. We should meet up.

    Ed - Love you, bro. You have his good looks. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you for sharing these wonderful memories Ju. :) I'm honoured to be one of them reading it. Beautiful.

    He's proud to know that the both of you, Ed, has grown up to be the men that he has taught well. May you rest in peace, Uncle.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ju,you're one of the nicest(I'd say your my top three) guy I know and from reading your post, I know where you got it from :) I'm sure all your hardships are paying off finally and your dad would be so proud of you!:D

    ReplyDelete
  8. My Juju boy....What a wonderful memory of Papa...i am sooooooo proud of u and so is Ed...love u Mom

    ReplyDelete
  9. Dude this is beautiful...i salute u!!!
    i guess by knowing u...ive known ur dad too aye...CHIN UP!!! NVR GIVE UP NVR SURRENDER!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yea mannnn PACHO SINGHS SON, good way to live your live in the memory of your dad. We all miss him too, great man great cook great dad and great uncle.

    And yea I too see a lot of the good qualities in you, the strength especially. Your a good kid and will go far in life. I'm proud too of all the work oyu've done in the arts and the way u sloughed through your work in Go academy. Can imagine your dad lookin down on you saying " This is my son!"




    -Gabriel

    ReplyDelete
  11. >shake a hand with a firm grip. To raise our chins to any challenge. Fear nothing. To be humble. To show respect. To be respected. To pull out chairs. To open doors. To love. To help others in need. And most of all, to never give up. Never surrender. And know how to lose with dignity, no matter how painful, as long as you gave it your best< this is the best guide line to follow!! XD how i wish i have a dad @@ but what ever also be happy for what you are today^^ go with all your will JU you rock man!

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a great post, Julian. And the last picture just takes the cake. Thanks for sharing this with me. :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. this made me cry. beautiful pictures. but i'm sure not as beautiful as the memories of your father that you hold dear.

    - lore

    ReplyDelete
  14. Ju

    This is a great tribute to your DAD. No doubt he is proud of the both of you. I am glad that you celebrate his life. Miss him much and can't help but smile when I think of him. All that you said your father taught you , I see it in both his boys (men).

    My love to you, Ed and Mum, to celebrate Uncle Pach's life and to live yours.
    Your cuz, alwiz
    Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  15. My dearest Ju,
    So proud of what you have achieved and the same for my dear godson Ed,your brother. Your dad's last words to me were keep the cousins together and make sure they are there for each other. I believe I have done that and am still doing it. Your dad was a good friend and brother in law to me and a great uncle to Sean. We miss him dearly and will always have him in our hearts.
    Love you all very much.
    Aunty Carol.

    ReplyDelete
  16. you are Pacho Singhs Son my man...ive seen u through ur ups and downs..and its only right 2 say uve done amazingly well for yourself with whatever thats been dealt towards you mom and ed..
    ill alwiz be dere to have your back
    this was really beautiful man.
    Peacekeepers 4eva man:)

    Sean

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hey Ju, dalbin gill here, ur cousin

    I always remember and will always remember your dad. All the times together with Uncle Pacho, miss him a lot. but this is life. My condolences.May God bless his Soul.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hey Ju..

    as much as i'm proud of you, doing this for your dad, as much as i do refere to him as my dad too "over 4years".
    I remeber the time when we got him to teach us commerce when he was in a velvet state of mind, and he was better than a teacher holding PHD in teaching commerce.

    Not only knowing the knowledge,but even to know how to deliver it... If only he had the chance to establish an Institute, i would the first student and start marketing it for him.

    He's stilling living in my memories and heart.

    Mum must be proud of you,.. and Ed..!!

    Luv,
    Sami

    ReplyDelete
  19. hey ju. sorry for taking so long. well there's no other way to say this but if you are anything like your father then i suppose i can say that your father would probably be one of the best people i would have known had i met him.that's what you are to me. Behind the flaws,COMPLAINING and EXAGGERATION lies this unique person full of kindness and compassion. despite all your hardships you still manage to be a good person.yeah we don't always see eye to eye but thats why your so interesting.life at work will definitely be a little more empty than usual.no more unnecessary coffee breaks.....anyway! yeah julian gill your father must have been a good man to have raised such a good guy like you!

    ReplyDelete
  20. At the time of me writing this, I'm still in the office trying to figure out the frickin' Adobe.
    You left this page open.
    It popped up when I re-started the computer.
    Ju-man, I had no idea.
    I'm deeply moved.
    I lost my father when I was eighteen, and then my beloved stepfather back in '01.
    No wonder we get along (despite the fact that I wanna occasionally boot your hairy ass!): We have more in common than just the movie fanboy thing and the "North American diaspora."
    Anyway, your Dad looks like a swell guy, not unlike that crazy kid of his!
    I also believe that much of who I am is because of my step-Dad (he raised me since I was five), and thus I do my best to make good on those qualities that I learned from him, as though he were still present in my life to witness my passage through manhood.
    And you know what? I have a strong feeling that though our Dads are in a better place, they make the occasional family visit.
    Ever felt that inner strength in you grow in times of duress?
    That's them lending a hand, my man ... as fathers do.

    Peace, brother!

    P.S. By the time I finished typing this, you waltzed back into the office! Yes, that's what I was doing when you saw me!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Idiot! you made me cry...this is a great tribute to my godpa. I wish i had spent more time with him when you guys came home. My fondest memories of godpa is when we were kids - Ed, me and Matts. He always had my back when Ed bullied me, in fact he was the only one who had my back. I loved him so much and miss him. And he did teach you boys well, i always feel proud when i talk about my cousins, and how they have become such strong, chivalrous, "hamsem" men! (don't tell Ed though). Love all of you so much....Hugz and kisses - Kath

    ReplyDelete
  22. Awwww, that's very sweet of you. I'm sure your father will be very proud of you! Your late father soul will be blessed! And wow, your mum looks hot in those days. Peace.

    ReplyDelete